Sunday, July 18, 2010

sweater > sweat



I suppose that since in the dead of winter I find myself longing for warm summer days, it seems only fitting that in the middle of a heatwave I cannot stop thinking about cool fall breezes and layers of wool. About knitting and baking. About a peaceful night's sleep without the low hum of the fans working overtime.

It hardly feels right to complain, but extremes at either end are difficult to tolerate. So, I patiently wait for a break in the heat and humidity, dreaming of wool sweaters.

I've barely touched my knitting in the past couple of weeks. When the heat came, it came with a vengeance and promptly pushed any desire to knit out of the way. That hasn't stopped me of planning, though. I realized that I don't have enough (any?) winter cardigans in my closet. Since I'm cold from late October until early May, this seems like a ridiculous situation for a knitter. So, I spent a couple of hours browsing Ravelry, finding options for a new sweater. I already had a specific yarn in mind (both for its price range and its wide colour range) and knew that I wanted a fairly fitted sweater that would be versatile enough to wear to work or with jeans. I wasn't completely satisfied with the last sweater that I made for myself (a good thick stay warm in winter sweater that doesn't fit well), so I want to be more careful in my choice this time. After much looking, I narrowed down it down to five potential patterns (there are a whopping 1,697 women's worsted cardigan patterns listed in Ravelry!).

Here's my shortlist, in no particular order:
1. February Lady Sweater by Pamlea Wynne
2. Que Sera by Kirsten Kapur
3. Minimalist Cardigan by Ruthie Nussbaum
4. Girl Friday by Mercedes Tarasovich-Clark
5. Sienna Cardigan by Ann E. Smith
6. Chiral Cardigan by Coralie Meslin (a last minute addition to the list after seeing the Fall Interweave Knits preview)

I have 5 skeins of Cascade 220 7822 (Vandyke Brown), which should be a sufficient amount for any of these sweaters knit in one of the smaller sizes.

My initial thought was to pick a pattern from those five six (I am leaning toward Que Sera or the Minimalist Cardi). I think instead I will swatch for each one and see which pattern I like best with the yarn. I figure it will be a while yet before the heat subsides and I can actually bear to have a pile of wool in my lap, so going through the process of swatching and blocking might be the best option (and I might actually come out with a sweater that I'm pleased with).

4 comments:

Mom said...

The only picture you can see is the February sweater, the rest if you click on your title you have to log in to Ravelry

Meaghan said...

Hmm. That's weird. I thought you could see them all like that now. I don't know why it worked for the February Lady Sweater and none of the rest.

Here are alternate links to the others:
Minimalist Cardi
Sienna Cardigan
Chiral Cardigan
Girl Friday
Que Sera

Mom said...

I love Chiral and Sienna, my next pick is Que Sera

Meaghan said...

I am quite smitten with Chiral. My only concern is what it might look like unbuttoned.